POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : POV-Ray on a network, for many users? : Re: POV-Ray on a network, for many users? Server Time
3 Jul 2024 00:16:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray on a network, for many users?
From: Frank 'Sputnik' Rothfuß
Date: 10 Jan 2003 12:12:39
Message: <3E1EFF06.A5880912@computermuseum.fh-kiel.de>
> Hmm, one can have multiple instances of Pov running on a local machine - would a
> network-installed Pov be any different?

I would be happy if there were no difference, but I fear that:
 - all users need write-access to the server's installation directory,
   overwriting for example rerun lists of other users because POV-Ray
   doesn't separate the users
 - editor preferences, the list of open files, paths etc. are only
   stored locally and not automatically available on every computer

Wouldn't it be fine to be able to go to any computer (even one which you
never used before), log in, start POV-Ray and automatically get your
personal settings over the network? In my opinion this would be especially
helpful in universities and schools, where many users share many networked
computers.

   Sputnik